Gingivitis is a very common condition. In England, most adults suffer from gingivitis, and most people had gingivitis at least once in their lives.
Before starting to talk about the causes, symptoms and treatment of this common condition, we will talk about the characteristics of natural gums.
Natural gum are characterized by a pink color, solid, doesn’t bleeding (it doesn’t bleed during brushing or eating), and doesn’t painful (we do not feel any pain during brushing or eating)
Any change in the previous signs is an indicator of gingivitis characterized by the following symptoms:
- Change the color of the gums to red or dark red
- Gums become fragile
- Bleeding is one of the most important symptoms
If gingivitis is not corrected since the fist of previous symptoms (one or all of the previous symptoms can be observed), this will lead to the development of the problem and we may reach a stage where the tissue and bone is affected. This condition is known as Periodontal disease. The stage is associated with the following:
- Bad breath
- Not acceptable taste in mouth
- Loss of teeth( it occurs with advanced gingivitis)
Therefore, it is necessary to correct the situation from the beginning , and it’s better to prevent the occurrence of inflammation by eating healthy food rich with antioxidants, attention to clean mouth as a whole. It is good to mention to the importance of probiotics in the prevention of inflammation of the gums.
Also, knowing the causes of gingivitis is necessary to keep away from everything that would harm the gum, such as:
- The main cause of gingivitis is lack of oral hygiene
- Lack of Immunity
- Lack of nutrition
If we have gingivitis, it is necessary to treat the condition from the beginning.
Treatment of gingivitis:
- Mild cases of gingivitis can be treated by cleaning teeth and gums and maintaining their clean.
- There are other cases need to clean at dentists and take their advise on the ideal way to clean.
- In severe cases, which are less common may require medical procedure.
Ph. Nour Abu Ghaida